02 Jun SAP Digital Transformation on Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Mollis – A Technical Comparison with AWS & Azure, written by Dominic Lyne
SAP has announced it is now ending its support for older versions in 2027, but the question for most SAP customers is not if, but when, they will adopt S/4HANA, and if the Coronavirus Crisis has brought this to the forefront in the quest to become fully digital more quickly.
If you are starting on the journey to migrating to SAP S/4HANA, is your organisation assessing what the best Cloud Platform is for you to transition to? This article discusses the merits of Google Cloud with its competitors.
Timing is also important – is your organisation ready? Are the on-premise solutions fully depreciated? Do you have a large internal IT department to consider? Start planning now as making the move to S/4HANA can deliver huge benefits over and above a more robust and scalable platform; it will boost application performance and provide additional cloud services and data analytics – specifically designed for the SAP architecture.
However, any SAP migration will present challenges for customers as this is where the core business-process impacts will be as well as the impact to your internal IT infrastructure teams. Google Cloud Platform (GCP) public cloud offers your organisation flexibility and scalability plus access to tailored architectural patterns that help drive a digital revolution.
Using a cloud platform is more than just hosting and removing your expensive, onsite maintained servers – it provides a number of leading-edge digital technologies discussed in the next section.
Google/GCP – A better alternative to AWS and Azure?
By running Google Cloud customers can experience the cost, performance, and innovation benefits of moving their SAP apps and workloads onto a modern cloud platform – alongside the expert support and services needed to help them get there.
There are several cloud platforms and they are all slightly different. Google Cloud Platform (GCP) has a number of additional technical capabilities that increase the benefits of running SAP S/4 HANA in the cloud, including (also see table at bottom of the article):
1. SAP to GCP Migration: seamless auto cloud migration, upgrading SAP apps, and building an agile and secure run environment, alongside the delivery of analytics and machine learning capabilities – all supported by a full suite of cloud services.
2. The Upgrade process can be done in days/weeks, not months, depending on number of apps with minimal risk due to auto-provisioning availability and disaster recovery functionality.
3. GCP enables organisations to run SAP faster – sub-millisecond fast – with greater scalability, security and system availability and optimal performance.
4. Live migration: huge savings in reduced downtime.
5. GCP has special micro cloud services: using GCP’s advanced technologies and microservices to cut the time and cost to drive insights from data and drive innovation.
6. Google Cloud can form part of a hybrid/multi-cloud strategy (without requiring vendor lock-in).
Solutions like SAP’s ERP solution and SAP ECC are where most of a customer’s core business processes are executed. Any concerns about disruption, including downtime and data loss during cloud migration can be addressed. Transitioning SAP to the cloud also presents a range of significant opportunities as outlined above. These include lower costs and faster migrations when automated tools, expert insights, and best practices are used.
GCP/SAP/S4HANA simplifies the underlying database with a revised data model. This reduces database size and helps with performance. The increased performance enables you to fast-track analytics and reporting to support real-time decision-making. Customisations are more easily avoided due to simplification and adding new applications is quicker.
• Costs – GCP is cheaper on compute costs (see comparison later)
• Benefits – not just hosting but many enhanced capabilities to improve performance and data analysis
• Resources – IT simplified – headcount savings potentially
• Downtime/disruption – minimised by auto-provisioning and inbuilt DR
Mollis Group can help you maximise the benefits of Google Cloud Platform for S/4HANA and cost-effectively leverage the power of digital technologies.
• GCP and SAP offer many integrations that enable you to manage and extend SAP S/4HANA capabilities.
• It allows you to connect with Google BigQuery, the serverless data warehouse technology.
• Low-cost, high-performance analytics.
• Access data from many other sources – including unstructured data, internal or external systems or third-party data.
• Google has recently acquired Looker to make the task of understanding all this data much easier.
The technology allows you to run different analyses and use data from different sources to generate insights and reporting.
Working with Mollis – using the Assess, Plan, Deploy, Optimise rollout methodology for SAP S/4HANA implementation, we can ensure you achieve your digital transformation goals.
Key Benefits of this method:
1. Seamlessly migrate SAP to GCP for improved performance, scalability, reliability & security.
2. Quickly extend native SAP apps for advanced analytics, RT data streams and ML.
3. Innovate and differentiate with Google + SAP co-developed innovations in the cloud.
Sound Methodology accelerates deployments and ensures success in your GCP Projects.
Capability comparison summary with AWS and Azure:
Get in touch here and evolve with us.
 Standard support is being extended to 2027, while SAP will continue to offer extended support until 2030, in a bid to get businesses to migrate to S/4 Hana.